Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

The water dispenser on my refrigerator doesnt work, but the

Customer Question

The water dispenser on my refrigerator doesn't work, but the ice dispenser does. I have a second hand maytag refrigerator, model model RTW22A, freezer on top. I can hear something kick on when the water button is pushed, but with no results. Thanks for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi when you hit the butto/lever do you hear a humm as if the valve is opening?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. It sounds like water should be coming out.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
A schematic of the model does not show where the dispencer is located. Can you tell me if it is located in the freezer or fridge door. Also can you confirm this unit does not have a water filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dispencer is located in the fridge door. I'm not sure if it has a filter, but I don't think it does.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Yes I can't see a filter in the schematic. Ok this is a simple system that the waterline runs into the back of the fridge back out and under the front into the door and up to the dispenser. The problem is there is a air lock or blockage in the line somewhere. You will need to blow some compressed air through the line. Pull the unit out from the wall and then remove the lower panel at the back. Behind this panel you will see the valve, One water line goes to the ice maker and the other for the water fountain. Remove the line from the valve for the water fountain and then go around the front and remove the grill under the doors. Behind the grill you should see where the waterline goes into the door and around the area of the hinge you should see a joint. Remove the waterline from this joint. Now blow air through the lines to clear any blockage or air lock. Mike