Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

My GE Refrigerator - Model TBX181ABKRWW has started making

My GE Refrigerator - Model TBX181ABKRWW has started making a noise that sounds like the fan that blows into the freezer unit on top. It's humming like it's struggling to work. The refrigerator portion of the unit is still cool but not as cool as normal and the food is still frozen in the freezer. We just noticed the problem this morning so it's probably going to get worse soon. Is this something I can tackle ?
From what you are explaining sounds like you have a bad fan motor...You would need to remove the back INSIDE freezer panel to access...IF the fan motor is not running up to par...Then you will not have proper cooling...The fan circulates cold air from the freezer to the fridge..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this somethig that's either bad or it's not? I mean, if it's acting up then it's likely going out, right?
Yes most of the time...It will end up not working at all...