John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

my automatic dishwasher is leaving my glass very cloudy.. almost

Customer Question

my automatic dishwasher is leaving my glass very cloudy.. almost like its not rinsing them. I've been able to rule out the water pressure, water temperature and hard water possibilities.. And of course there is plenty of jet dry solution. what else can cause this problem??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Did you try a cup of vinegar on the top rack right side up and put the cloudy dishes in and see if the come out cleaner.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes we've tried that also.Not exactly like that though, putting a cup of vinegar on the top rack.. we just put some vinegar in the cabinet and ran a rinse cycle. is it important to do it exactly in that manner? And if so will I have to do that every time i run a load?
Thats the only symptom cloudy dished. And it didn't always so that just recently. We've owned the dishwasher for about 2 years now and just in the last 2 months its been leaving the glass ware that way.

Is it also possible that the drying solution is not being released? Is it possible that the releasing mechanism is malfunctioning or clogged? If so how do I check for that?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
It takes time for the hard water to do that to the dishes , so just one cup of the vinegar will remove the hard water build up , theres a good product on the market called Dish washer magic that very good for that problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this Dishwasher magic a rinse aid?? If so.....I have been using that regularly. I have ran the dishwasher with vinegar for at least 5 times. Most of the residue soap has been removed from the tub. I have also checked to make sure that none of the sprays are clogged. They are spraying just fine. Trust me I bought a piece of glass to cover so that I can watch the washer rinse. Not only are the glasses left with a film but dishes, silverware are left with a film that you can feel on the dishes.

For this reason I am thinking the rinsing agent dispenser is not dispensing properly, but I have no way of knowing how to get to it or when exactly it is released. With this brand of product I would think that after 2 years it would not react in this way.

Is it your opinion this is a hard water problem and not something mechanical?

If it is the hard water wouldn't it have to be excessive? Wouldn't we see it our sinks, toilets, etc.?

We live in a new neighborhood with these new appliances; wouldn't my neighbors have the same problem?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So is it your opinion that the hard water, built up on the dishes over time, and thats my problem?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I had a d/w in my house and Im on a well it took two years for my glasses to look cloudy and its causd by a gradual build up of the hard water.I finally got rid of the d/w it just wasent worth the aggrevation.