Jeff Pearson
Jeff Pearson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 Years Refrigeration Contractor, Service Technician

LG LFX25960ST Bottom Freezer Refrigerator. Freezer not cold

LG LFX25960ST Bottom Freezer Refrigerator. Freezer not cold enough. Ice cream still solid, but just barely.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jeff Pearson replied 3 years ago.

What you need to do is clean the condenser coils. These coils are what removes the heat from your freezer and must be allowed to transfer the heat to the air in order for the refrigeration cycle to function.

These coils get clogged with dust and are choking your system to the point that it is having a hard time maintaining the set temperature.

Find the coils on your system, usually under the freezer or at the lower back of the unit..

Then brush them off or blow them off with a compressed air source. You can also try using a vacuum.

Thank You

Jeff Pearson

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This was not the problem. Coils were clean. Fan was blowing air over the coils. Floor under compressor was fairly warm.

This unit worked fine for about 2 years. Manual says to leave 1ft. space behind and above, however unit has been enclosed in cabinetry refridgerator hole with 2 inches behind and 4 inches above. This was ok for two years but now it does not freeze as well.

Have you checked the condenser fan? Is it starting to fail ?

Your symptoms indicate a failure to reject the heat from the condenser. But if the fridge has been enclosed for two years it may have worn the compressor out prematurely due to the excessive operating temperatures

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fan appears to be spinning properly.

There was almost no dust on the condensor coils.
Does the compressor shut off periodically?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure if it was kicking off before pulling it out of the cabinets. We just checked this morning after leaving it outside the cabinet. The freezer is colder now and the floor under the compressor is 20 deg cooler. Maybe I should ventilate above the back of the fridge so that the hot air rises to the ceiling.

Yes that would help your refrigerator get rid of the heat and run better. It will also save you money in electricity usage.

Thank you

Jeff Pearson

Jeff Pearson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 Years Refrigeration Contractor, Service Technician