John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE Microwave keeps loosing power at random times. Sometimes

Customer Question

My GE Microwave keeps loosing power at random times. Sometimes it comes back on at random times and stays for a short period of time. What is causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

When you say it loses power, do you mean the display goes dead or everything, including the inside cavity lights are dead too when you open the door?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you are correct on your assumption.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry, I asked two questions.

When it goes dead, does the display go blank only

OR

Does the display go blank AND the internal cavity lights go out too.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The display go blank AND the internal cavity lights go out too.

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. This sounds like a control board issue or a wiring issue. You did say the GE guy did something with the wiring. Do you remember what his prognosis was?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe wiring was touching each other or something he wrap in electrical tape. Moved some wires and it came back on I do not want to spend another $100 for him to do that.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I don't blame you. This question may be virtually impossible to answer in this forum. If it is a wiring problem, there could be so many variables. If it totally loses power though, and is intermittent, I can tell you it is either a wiring issue or a control board. That's the best answer I have. Without being there to physically test it makes it virtually impossible to determine online. This isn't what you wanted to hear I'm sure. Do you have a local appliance shop? You could take the microwave there probably for much less money.