rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances

I have a 5 year old Maytag Neptune gas dryer. I have removed

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Maytag Neptune gas dryer. I have removed the front cover to watch the burner. The burner will ignite and burn for 8 seconds then cut off. I hear a clicking sound after a few minutes and the igniter will glow bright orange and ignite the flame. I have checked the vent and it is not clogged. Any idea why it would only burn for 8 seconds?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 4 years ago.
Hi
You probably have a bad set of coil valves. .Do you have a way to check voltage and ohms?
Rob
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I may have a meter, I ordered an igniter but it hasn't come in yet. Is the coils easy to change? Could it be the thermostat that is not working?
Your burner will light so the igniter is ok and will not solve your problem,it is also doubtful the thermostat is a problem.When the coil valves get weak the dryer will burn fine at first and after a few minuets will fail to light or not burn long

If you look closely at the coils, one has three terminals on it and we will test this one first. With the coil out of the dryer and the terminals on top
facing you, the first terminal on the left is number one, the middle is two and the right side terminal is number 3. Using your ohm meter, measure the
resistance between terminals 1 and 2. You should get a reading of 1365 ohms or - 25 ohms. Next, measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 3.
You should get a reading of 560 ohms or - 25 ohms. The next coil only has two terminals and it should have a resistance of 1220 ohms or - 50 ohms.
Keep in mind when testing these coils, they should be tested at room temperature. If you have run the dryer and they are warm or hot, the resistance
reading will be different.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would changing all three coils potentially fix the problem if I don't have a meter? How much will the coils cost roughly?
You would definitely change all coils,if 1 is bad the others are not far behind in failing.What is the model number?
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MDG9700AWW
The part number you will need is 279834.You can get them at your local appliance store,or if one is not close they are here around $22..
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any literature or istructions to change coils? IIs it fairly easy?
There are 2 screws that hold a bracket down on the gas valve that hold the coils on the valve.You need to turn off the power,remove the screws and replace the valves.You can not mis wire as 1 valve has 2 wires and one has 3 wires.
Rob