Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have a GE profile refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom

Customer Question

I have a GE profile refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom purchased 9 1/2 years ago. Lately I have noticed water collecting on the floor of the kitchen at the right front of the base of the unit. Upon further examination the freezer unit had 1/2 inch of ice covering the entire bottom and what looked like Niagra Falls frozen in mid-winter cascading down the sloping back of the freezer, starting at the top and then freezing cascades all the way down. Looking at the back it appeared the drain tube had clogged. We cleared the clog, reattached the tube, carefully cleared away the ice, and even took the door off so the ice that had accumulated within the door and was dripping out between the seal and the door could thaw completely. So all seemed fine for about 1 week, then we saw the begining of the freezing drip starting at the top of the back and following the slope down and ending in a frozen puddle at the base of the freezer again.What is the fix to this?? Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 4 years ago.

You just have a clogged defrost drain. On a side by side it's an EASY fix. On a bottom mount it's a pain in the butt to access. You might wanna hire someone unless your limber. To fix remove the back wall and as much ice as you can. Then pour boiling hot water into the drip pan under the evaporator (metal coils). Once the ice is gone from the drain hole run a tube down through it (1/4" water line works great). Then put all back together and enjoy the lack of water on your floor. Thanks!

Brandon

please click accept and leave feedback.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean the back wall of the entire unit? I cannot access it from removing the floor of the refrigerator unit? Would that not expose the workings underneath? So this is seperate from the black drain hose that comes out of the unit midway down the back of the unit and the feeds back into a drain pan at the very bottom of unit near the floor. Are there different drains? We unclogged that black tube already, all clear now.