John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have a GE DPGT750EC electric dryer that has intermittent

Customer Question

We have a GE DPGT750EC electric dryer that has intermittent drying..some loads seem to take forever. We have taken it apart and vacuumed out extra lint, checked the vents for blockage, etc. It seems that the blower is tripping out, and can be reset for short times by letting it cool down or disconnecting the power for 5 minutes..

This has not always been a problem..just the past 3 months or so.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You said the blower trips out does the drum keep turning when this happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the drum continues to turn, but the blower is not, as verified by the fact that there is no air coming out of the vent.

When we took the top off to clean it, we also pressed all connectors together to be sure it wasnt a faulty connection.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=dpgt750&searchTerm=&RefineSearch=0

The number 472 and 471 can cause this problem .

Your dryer has two motors one to turn the drum and one to turn the blower .

Replace both those parts it should fix the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
these parts are do not appear from the diagram to be motors themselves..looks like a bracket or bushing. Do you have documentation as to how we get to the motors? It didnt seem that they were easily accessible.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Their not motors their sensors that turn off the blower motor and that whats happening with your dryer.Heres the complete breakdown of that dryer to help you.

You said you vacuumed the dust so you must have had the drum out to do that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No..just the dust on the top and in the control area..never took the time to figure out how to get the drum out and to get to the parts below the drum
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Heres the breakdown of that dryer, this will help you to get to the sensors.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe I misread it, but this link appears to be a parts list, not a take-apart instruction. Is it on a particular page?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Open the door and remove the screws you see this will take the front panel off .

Now you can get to those sensors.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will give this a try..thanks..and will let you know what we find
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I looked it up and you have to remove the console to remove the top so you can get to the front panel .look at the breakdown of the top and console it will show you what to remove.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have removed the console and top earlier, but were stymied as to which screws on top will release the front panel.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Try the screws on the front with the door open.

This dryer is so new that I have never taken one apart and theres no real info on line about that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dryer is 6 years old. I already removed screws on front with door open (top still on). Tomorrow I will try to remove the console and top and try to figure it out. Meanwhile do you have access to a GE expert who has taken these apart?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

What I will do is unlock your question to me and see if another expert will pick it up.

Meanwhile Ill look for more info for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks...going to bed now..will check in the morning.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
And so am I goodnight
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found the problem..a broken wire, probably from a cold solder joint that finally gave way. Seems to be working fine now. When I took the top off, I just had to loosen the front two screws on the top, along with the four screws inside the door, and the front popped off easily. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Great job.

Thanks and God Bless.