Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

My Kenmore Silent Guard II 2-stage furnace has a hum (audible

My Kenmore Silent Guard II 2-stage furnace has a hum (audible when the furnace is not running) and I only suspect that the 2-stage mechanism no longer works. The hum almost sounds like a failed relay. Besides that the furnace seems to heat OK. The hum wasn't there until earlier this year.
What you are hearing is the low voltage control transformer that provides the 24 volts for the control circuit. It may have become loose in it's mount and it's vibrating a bit louder than usual. Do you know what the transformer looks like? Here's a picture so you can identify it and push on it with a screw driver and tighten it up. You may need to replace it if that does not help.
It's normal to have some humming but not what you are now hearing. it's not going to hurt anything but your ears though...