John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

MY REFRIGERATOR DONT WORK,THE FREEZER WORKS THOUGH CAN IT BE

MY REFRIGERATOR DONT WORK,THE FREEZER WORKS THOUGH?CAN IT BE FIXED THE BOX IS IN GOOD SHAPE.IS IT WORTH FIXING.

Thanks for the question.

Is this a freezer on the top model.

Please send me the model number.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TOP MODEL FREEZER YES.MODEL#I IS WHIRLPOOL ET16JKYHWOO 12/98 TYPE 16TFA98
Can you feel frost on the freezer panel and is the fan motor going.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the freezer works good but the fridge part tries to get cold. i am not sure. but i will check. from what i remember it does kinda feel damp and yes the fan is runing.

The drain behind the freezer panel could be blocked up stopping the air flow to the fridge .

Remove the freezer panel and if it is thaw that out and clear the drain to the drain pan under the fridge this should fix the problem if it is iced up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k will let you know later

Ok we can continue tomorrow .

Goodnight.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE FRIDGERATOR WORKS GOOD FOR A DAY FREEZER FREEZES UP AND THEN WON'T COOL THE FRIDGE PART. IF IT IS THE DERFROST SWITCH? HOW WOULD I REPLACE THE DEFROST SWITCH?

The # XXXXX on the breakdown is the defrost timer theres a small cog on the timer you can turn slowly till the fridge turns off , then wait i5 min to see if the defrost heater comes on to thaw the frost on the freezer coils , if it does replace the defrost timer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I TURNED DEFROST SWITCH BARELY & FRIGE TURNED OFF REMOVED BACK PANEL TO SEE EVAP.UNDERNEATH EVAP IS A COIL.HEATING ELEMENT?IT IS NOT GETTING HOT & NO POWER TO IT.

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.328975/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=4

This is the defrost thermostat its connected to the defrost heater you need a meter to see if this part is open if it is it wont send the current to the defrost heater, its a common part to fail.and could cause the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WE DID FIND THE DEFROST SWITCH TO BE BAD. WE ARE GOING TO REPLACE IT DO WE HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL TO THE SWITCH AFTER WE REPLACE IT? LET ME KNOW. WHEN I SEE THAT IT IS FIXXED I WILL EXCEPT YOUR ANSWER. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THAT DOES FIX IT. HANG IN THERE.
If you found that switch open it is the problem, good job.