Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I have a Kenmore Elite model 106.56703500 we went on a two

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite model 106.56703500 we went on a two week vacation and when we got back the ice maker was not working. It seems that water is not going into ice maker. Any suggestions. Water does come out of the water dispenser on the front door.
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

If you look at the icemaker, where are the white fingers pointing. Using the ice mold tray as a reference, are they pointing slightly above this or are the white fingers down in the ice mold itself?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The forward one are pointing up.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
The fingers are pointing straight up or are they pointing toward you just above the ice mold?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are pointing towards me just above the ice mold
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this is the correct standby position. Now. Do you see the black fill tube on the right side which goes into the fill cup of the ice maker? Can you squeeze this and see if it feels very rigid, or let me know if you can squeeze it relatively easily. It's cold and might feel a little tight, but let me know if you can't squeeze it at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can squeeze it pretty easy

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I asked you to check this because I wanted to see if that was frozen with ice. If you look at the on/ off slider on the right side of the freezer liner. Is that set to on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Bear with the questions. Just trying to cover all the bases before we get into something a little more complex. With the freezer door open, you'll see a little green LED which should be blinking twice, followed by a pause, then repeats. Does this occur. Also, hold the flapper on the opposite side of the freezer liner down against the wall. Be sure that your hand does not cover the little hole in it. When you hold it down, does the LED stop blinking and turn solid GREEN.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem with the questions at all, the light is red on my model Smile It operates exactly as you have described with the exception of the light being red
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok. What I want you to do is unplug your refrigerator for no less than two minutes. Plug it back in and repeat the last thing I asked of you. Get back to me and let me know if the light goes green instead of red.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Also, if you open both refrigerator doors and pull the grille off at the bottom, there should be two pieces of paper folded up tightly inside the grille. One of those is an ice maker optics diagnostic test sheet. The two flashes and one second pause is normal. The solid LED usually turns green when those optics are working properly. Let me know if you find this sheet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found the sheet. The led does not come on at all now. I pressed freezer door switch and the led blinked one flash every second
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

One flash every second means the ice maker is in harvest mode or the optics are faulty. Have your ice maker fingers stayed in the same position or are they down now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are in the same position
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I'm going to suggest you replace your optics boards. They come together. Very easy to install. I asked you to unplug your refrigerator because this will sometimes "reboot" the control boards. The red LED was a red flag. Pardon the pun. It should have been solid green. The other tasks I've asked of you seem normal. I hope this information helps.

If this answer was helpful, please choose the accept button. This is how I am paid for my time, advice and research. Bonuses and positive feedback are truly appreciated.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Did your tech sheet support my diagnosis?