The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a GE refrigerator circa 1936 that I would like to restore.

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator circa 1936 that I would like to restore. It's in great condition but needs new door seals and it looks like at one time it used to have panels that would have been maybe 3 or 4 inches wide covering the legs on either side -- it does have a front panel that covers the motor, etc. Can you help me? You can reach me at (edited for privacy) orXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks so much for your help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
Thank you.

Ok, Linda. The best way to approach this would be to sign on with a forum or group that deals with restoring old appliances. You can then post questions and the members will reply to you with the specifics of the restoration process.

If you would just like to hav it restored for you there are websites that can provide the specifics of having it restored by them for a price.

Please advise if you would like to do this yourself or have it done for you and I will provide links to web sites that can help you do this.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I would like to do it myself. I can apply the door seal and if I can find the plates that used to cover the side legs, I can have them painted by the man that painted/restored the rest of the refrigerator.

Ok I located a supplier of old refrigerator gaskets.

Please click here for the web site.

The leg covers I was unable to locate. The same web site may have information about them. Pleasae let me know if they do not and I will see if I can locate them for you.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before I pay you could I have the information about the forum or group that deals with restoring old appliances? That may be the route I have to take since I don't have any of the original door seal or picture of the original side panels. Thanks so much for your help.

Here is a good forum you can post to.

Please click here.

I will post more as I find them