Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

i have a ge powervent water heater model number GG40T06PVK

Customer Question

i have a ge powervent water heater model number GG40T06PVK . it is in lock out. how do i reset it. i know there is a button combonation you press but i don't remember it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 4 years ago.

http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=AP13787 GE US Power Vent.pdf

This is a link to the complete use and care manual. You have a gas water heater. Not sure what you mean by "lock out" If you mean you need to light the pilot detailed instructions inside the manual. No electronics on this one to be locked out so if the manual isn't a help please post a more detailed question as to what you need. Thanks!

Also please remember to click accept and leave feedback so I get credit for the question. You can still communicate after you do this. Thanks again!

Brandon

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does have electronics on it and no pilot light. it';s self lighting.....i.e. glow plug. the lockout is do to flammable vapor sensor and the only place it says so is on the heater itself...i read the manual....i had to call ge befor and they told me a button combo to press to reset it.....but i don't remember it. there is only 2 buttons on it.

Flammable Vapors Sensed (FVS) Reset Procedure

After a flammable vapor lockout has been initiated, a manual reset must be performed to restore

operation. The following should be done by a qualified service person after the hazard has been

removed:

1 Manual reset is accomplished by first, turning off power to the water heater for 10

seconds.

2 Restore the power to the water heater.

3 Within 10 seconds of restoring power, press the two temperature adjust buttons

simultaneously until the left (green) "Vacation" LED begins to blink (approx. 5 second

delay). Once the Vacation LED begins to blink, release both buttons.

4 Again, within 10 seconds, press both temperature adjust buttons simultaneously until the

Vacation LED is on steady (approx. 5 second delay).

5 Release the two buttons, the microcomputer will clear the FVS lock-out and normal

operation will then be restored.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still both lights are on......what now.

I would say if you have tried to reset it and the lights are still there, the sensor is actually detecting flammable vapor. Do you have anything nearby like gas, or ammonia, or anything that might be confusing the sensor? If not and the reset isn't working you may have a bad sensor.

Below is the sensor test procedure to rule that out

The self diagnostic test has

detected the presence of

flammable vapors.

The Intelli-Vent control is

programed to lock-out and

display this error code if the

resistance value it senses from

the FV sensor is above 70,000

ohms but remains below

1,700,000 ohms.

The Intelli-Vent control is in a

hard lock-out condition that

cannot be reset by cycling power

to the water heater. See the

instructions below for the reset

procedure.

1 Turn off power to the water heater. Carefully check

the surrounding area for any substances such as

gasoline, paint, paint thinners, or cleaners that could

emit flammable vapors. Remove anything that can

potentially emit flammable vapors from the area and

store it properly in a different location.

2 Ensure power to the water heater is turned off.

Remove the FV sensor from it's bracket on the base

ring of the water heater and disconnect both wires to

the sensor. Take a resistance reading between the

two wiring terminals of the FV sensor and note the

resistance values.

Perform this test once in the area by the water heater

and a second time outdoors after allowing the sensor

to acclimate to the outdoor atmosphere for 5

minutes.

Service Note: These resistance readings should be

taken using an ohm scale above70,000 ohms.

3 If the resistance of the FV sensor is above 70,000

ohms during the indoor test only and the resistance

reading taken in the outdoor atmosphere dropped

below 70,000 ohms. Re-check the area surrounding

the water heater for substances that could be

emitting flammable vapors. Remove any such

substances from the area and store them properly in

a different location. Repeat step 2.

4 If the resistance of the FV sensor is above 70,000

ohms during the indoor and outdoor tests - replace

the flammable vapor sensor.

5 If the resistance of the FV sensor was below 70,000

ohms during the indoor and outdoor tests and all the

steps above have been performed - replace the

Intelli-VentTM control.