Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore 417.94052500 dryer. It was reporting no

I have a Kenmore 417.94052500 dryer. It was reporting "no heating" and a bad thermistor, using the self-diagnotics (the thermistor was reporting a 254-degree temperature while the dryer wasn't heating at all). It would run in all modes, but with no heat. I replaced the thermistor and cleared the codes, and now it will run & heat, but ONLY in the "60 minutes" position on the control dial. Other controls seem to be normal (temp knob, etc - though obviously the "more dry/less dry" settings are deactivated in Timed Dry mode). No sticking buttons are indicated. All the test modes function perfectly, and there are no error codes that I can tell - the data sheet that came with the dryer seems to have a limited number of error codes (I seemed to be getting a "9E" error code before replacing the thermistor, in addition to the others).

If you try to run in any Main Switch position than "60 minutes," it beeps three times and won't start (or accept the change if in "pause" mode). So what is up with this? Is there a reset for the control board, besides just unplugging it? Might there be an EPROM update for it? This is the second control board this dryer has had, now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
this is just a bad control board now unfortunately. The thermistor fixed the heating issue, but it sounds like you may have had a power surge or something along those lines because your control board is also bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I forgot to mention it was a gas dryer - not that it matters.

Can I use it for awhile in this "60 minutes only" mode? Until I get another board, anyway...if I decide to go that route. Being that this dryer seems to be a really poor design - other than the electronic control board, it's no different than the 20-year-old dryer it replaced (except the new fancy electronics stink) - I should probably just go back to the old dryer, which had exactly ONE problem (timer died) in its life, and still works. This Kenmore was a hand-me-down. Maybe I should hand it back up!

I don't suppose there has been a recall? It's gone through two control boards in about two years.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes, you can use it, it won't damage anything else. There hasn't been a recall for this problem, but I agree--older dryers are just as good as the new ones. Washers are a different story though...