Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have Samsung RS2555SL refridgerator. Freezer is working fine

I have Samsung RS2555SL refridgerator. Freezer is working fine but fridge does not. Fridge temperature on the front panel is 60F.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 4 years ago.
When the unit is running do you feel any air flowing into the fresh food? If not open the left fz side. Do you hear a fan stop turning or slow down?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how can i check that air flowing into the fresh food? I feel some cold at the bottom though. When I open the left side I don't hear fan stop turning or slowing down

On most samsung models it will stop, do you hear the fan blowing and air moving on the freezer side? If you do, check the back wall of the freezer and see if you have any frost buildup on it. If so your problem is a defrost and airflow issue and I can walk you through fixing that. Thanks!

Brandon

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brandon,
I'm not sure why are you asking about freezer. The freezer is working fine. Problem with the fridge (right side). I
The freezer cools and the cold air flows to the fresh food. The fresh food side doesn't cool at all. They share air. For one to be cold and one to not the damper is closed, the fan isn't running, or the air is clogged. I'm trying to find which of the 3 you have going on without confusing you too bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see. Thanks for explanation. The air is blowing in freezer and there is no frost buildup

Ya know what, I actually told you wrong on this one, I just looked the model up to find the damper and apparently this is one of the newer models with dual evaporators. The evaporator is located in the lower fresh food compartment. If you do not hear a fan running in the fresh food compartment then most likely you have a bad fan (possibly board) but this is a Multiphase Dc Motor and probably won't be able to meter it easily due to location. The part number is XXXXX and marcone lists it for 34.94 So I would start there unless you do hear a fan or air moving in the fresh food side. Without a fan it will just get cold down low and never pull the cold air up high. Same principle as I explained before but yours is new enough and high end enough that it does have 2 seperate evaporators. The parts list is here if you want to see how the fan is mounted. And depending on your skill level this might be a good one to hire out.

Ref Compartment

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem is that I'm not sure how to determine if fan is actually working or not. I mean I hear the same kind of low sound in both freezer and fridge compartments. I don't hear a difference in sound b/w fridge and freezer.

There is one detail I'd like to mention. Yesterday every time I've opened the fridge door there was a louder sound similar to what you hear when trying to start a car or boat but the engine won't start. It was going for approx 5 sec and then subsided.
Can you not feel any air moving though. Through the grill in the back you should feel air coming out. Hold the door switch down also and check. There should be airflow or your still talking a fan. The noise might have been the fan blade coming off or something yesterday.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I held the door switch down and didn't feel the air coming out. Then I checked the grill in the back bottom. There are actually 2 grill openings. One on the left and another on the right. Through the left one I felt a warm air coming out. Nothing was coming out of the right one.
I'll be honest with you we're about at the point I would say you need a servicer to come in and diagnose. I don't think you want to take the unit apart to view the evaporator, but if you do that's the next step you need to check the frost pattern on it. Most likely the board isn't calling for freon in that section for some reason, or the gas valve isn't switching it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually if you can guide me I'd like to take the unit apart to view the evaporator. (Don't want to give up too early Smile)
Ok, referring back to the picture Start taking things off front to back until you see a metal tube (usually silver) that has aluminum fins attached. This is the evaporator. Will look similar to #52. That's the evaporator. Need to see if it's cooling on any part. Should all be frosty if it's trying to cool at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't take the back panel off because of the ice. I guess I need to wait a bit...
There's your issue your frosting up in the unit then. Ice shouldn't be present on the fresh food side. You need to remove and check part number #29 the defrost heater for the fresh food side. If it has resistance through it you have a bad control board.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've got the back panel off just now. The evaporator is covered with ice. So can you confirm that the next step is to check defrost heater?
yes, you have a defrost problem not a cooling problem. Doesn't look like this side has any sort of defrost terminator, the part number 29 is what you need to check. The frost is covering the evap correct, not balled up in one corner or anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks like it's covered evenly. There though might be one problem. As far as I'm aware Samsung doesn't have defrost heater separately. It is mounted together with separator. Is the attached diagram for the Samsung model in question?
yeah that's your model number pictured looks like it's held to the seperator with screw number 18. Should be a seperate part or they wouldn't have it it's own number. Either way you can check it mounted. Just gotta get to the wiring harness end and ohm between the 2 wires. UNPLUGGED of course, can't check resistance with it plugged in accurately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if I'm measuring right but it shows me initially 1.5 Mega-ohms and goes slowly up
There's your problem, if the leads are in correctly it should read 15-50 ohms depending on the length of the heater. Anything into the millions on a heater is an opening in the heater. Need to replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see. So I need to order a new part and try to replace the broken one. Just wanted to ask you if I can keep the answer open just in case there will be a question during the replacement ?

I'm kinda new here, but as long as I have been a member people can still reply to the original questions I answered. So yes you can click Accept and leave feedback while still being able to ask me questions. I don't think you will have any problems you basically have it removed now, when you put it in you will need to melt the ice beyond that it's as simple as mounting it in place. Thanks!

Brandon

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Just wondering how will I find this question if I need to reply to it?
Not sure what your screen looks like on login, but when I login there is a my questions tab. Just click it and it shows me any question I have been involved in, even if another expert got credit. You should have that or a search.
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands