The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I just purchased an Husqvarna Viking Topaz 30 Embroidery/sewing

I just purchased an Husqvarna Viking Topaz 30 Embroidery/sewing machine, new in the box and when I try to use it for embroidery, it tells me to attach the correct size hoop even though I have the correct sized hoop attached, as per the embroidery design and the embroidery machine. It does this with other designs, too or I would figure there was a flaw in the design itself. I have only used it one other time (today also) and it stitched beautifully. I am not doing anything different, but it's like the hoop is no longer being recognized by the machine. I have tried to program it to take other size hoops (compatible with the design size) and the machine reacts the same. Anyone there to help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

Hi, tigemette. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
Thank you.

The problem is with the sensor that detects the loop. I am sorry but this is not a DIY repair.

These units are complicated to say the least. There are not many things that I will not try to repair. The new computerized units are one of them. I know how to, but I wont because they are just too complex.

You will need a service technician to repair this.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for your quick response, but I feel that your expertise is just not matched well to my problem. Very often with computerized sewing machines there's one little step that might need to be done or an update via the web that I just don't know about. It would be helpful if this site had someone well versed in sewing machines. I feel that I cannot accept your answer simply because I seems that just being an experienced seamstress and embroiderer, I may already know more in this area that you, but you certainly have so much more knowledge than me in your area, just like one time when I got help on this site with an ipod problem...someone that was say, a computer person may have been able to figure it out, but someone well versed in ipods could do it more quickly and possibly with more confidence in the outcome. I am trying to seek help through chats with other Viking sewing machine owners...it's amazing what even older ladies who know little about computers can know about their beloved sewing machines, even the computerized ones. Have a great day...and thank you again.

Ok I called the local repair shop and asked them your question. A gentleman named Gary said that it could be a sensor, especially since it does the same thing with diffrent loops. He was also very adamant about whether you had followed the instructions in the owners manual "to the letter". He stated that 99% of this type of problem is operator error. The software would be a concern if the latest updates have not been installed but did not think it was a big concern in this case.

Please know that Gary is certified by the manufacturer of your unit.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns in this matter.

Best, THS

Edited by The Home Smithy on 6/17/2010 at 9:12 PM EST
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances