Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Wife torqued on knob that has the timer on our Whirlpool electric

Wife torqued on knob that has the timer on our Whirlpool electric dryer (WED5830SW0). Now, it doesn't want to start. I've tried removing the thermal fuse from the equation by temporarily jumping the 2 blue wires ... still no effect. Dryer worked yesterday, after wife cranked on the knob for the timer... it was like it wasn't getting a good contact. Could there be a problem with the timer, thermal fuse, on/off switch (on front right side of dryer), or a combination of all of them?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

you jumped this out? Part 2986

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I jumped to bypass the thermal fuse, in case there was an issue with fuse.
ok, have you tested the door switch and the start switch yet .?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The door switch seems fine, because I can hear the timer shut-off when opening the door... I can hear the clicking on the switch when I press the close door switch. Not sure how to test the start/stop switch.

do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no voltmeter to check for voltage... I guess that's all you can do now until I get a repairman here.
my guess would be the timer is bad but would have liked to check the start switch before telling you that, I can tell you however that these timers the contacts burn in them and if you wiggle the knob sometimes it would start , this seems consistent with a bad timer, wish I could help more, sorry thanks Bryan