Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore ice maker will only produce ice if both temperature

My Kenmore ice maker will only produce ice if both temperature controls are turned to maximum cooling temperature. This causes a lot of my food in the refrigerator portion to freeze. Model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX Any suggestions?
The freezer temp is 11 degrees. Haven't adjusted it in past 14 hours. Still no ice production. Is there any way of determining approximate age of unit? Was in the house whne purchased.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

do you know the temp in the freezer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Put a thermometer in, it's been about 15 minutes. Freezer temp is 11 degrees. May still be dropping.
ok let me know when it goes down more, this should be between 0-8 degrees to make ice. is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My digital thermometer quit working. There is a very light dusting of frost on the back panel. I think this has definitely isolated the problem to the freeezer not getting cold enough to produce ice. I would assume that both temp. controls have to be on max cooling temp to get the temp low enough because the coolant may be low. Would that be probable?
yes you have a defrost problem the first thing you need to do is remove the back panel in the freezer and defrost the coils with a hair dryer, let me know when you get the back panel out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean the panel that is on the inside of the freezer?
yes the one inside, there will be screws to take this off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It will take me a little bit to get this done. Will reply as soon as I can.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This looks like quite a project. The rails that hold the shelves have to come out for the panel to be removed. Before I go any further, what are possible causes of a defrost problem?
well there are 3 reasons for this, 1 the defrost thermostat is bad , 2 the defrost heater,3 the defrost timer, you will need a volt meter to check these though
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can get one if you can walk me through it.
once you get it apart let me know, thanks Bryan