Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a Mayutag A512 Topload washer. At the start

I have a Mayutag A512 Topload washer. At the start of the spin cycle the unit makes a screeching nosie for a few seconds before it gets the spin going. I replaced both belts but the problem still exosts. Is there a way to tighten the drive belt or should I be looking for other problems? The beltsd seem to be a little loose.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster

the two belts in this are adjusted by moving the pump, if you tip the machine back there are 3 screws in the pump, you unloosen them and move the pump a little . try each way until it straightens out, if that doesn't work there are two other things that could be the cause, 1 the motor spring on the slide plate are either weak or one may be off or broken, Part 434716 or two the spin bearing is going on this. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= try adjusting the pump first, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Washer is pumping out water fine. I am pretty sure that the noise is from the drive belt. Both springs are attached but may be tired. I will try tighter springs. Should the tub spin freely by hand when empty. Could you provide information on how difficult the spin bearing is to replace?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have twisted the spring a couple of revolutions to put more tension on them but the sounds remains. Now I am thinking that it must be the spin bearing. Before I order the part I would like to have informkation on how involved it is to replace. Please advise.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry Mike I had to step out for a few minutes, the spin bearing requires a special spanner wrench to change , Part 1590and you need to remove the inner tub, this can be a job to replace this, it comes with instructions, you can get the parts @ hope this helps, thanks Bryan