Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a wirlpool refridgerator 4yrs old main compartment does

i have a wirlpool refridgerator 4yrs old main compartment does not get cold but freezer works fine this is my second request for an answer model#et1mhkxm001 or mQ01
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

is there frost on the back panel in the freezer? look real good behind the food,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there are no signs frost on back panel of freezer model#et1mhkxmQ01 or m001
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is the fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , no frost and the fans running so we need to look at the damper, thats the part that lets the air down into the fresh food section, this is a top freezer correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes model has top freezer compartment
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok the first thing to do is remove the back panel in the freezer, we need to check the frost pattern on the coils, can you do that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i can just one min
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you need to check the air tower for blockage . Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=also the returns, thats why the back panel has to come out,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just need to know if this is a costly repair or is it cheaper to replace the whole fridge
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well that depends on what the problem is, if it is a defrost problem even though theres no frost on the back panel this can be fixed, if its a freon problem then that would not be cost affective repair, if you can get the back panel off then we will know better, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do now have back panel removed
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok is there an even coating of frost over all the coils? you took the panel off inside the freezer correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is the frost pattern even?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok and the fan is running , can you see the returns for the airflow? the returns are on the side of the main air flow in the center , are they clear? no ice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they are clear
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok . how warm is the fresh food section? I know this is taking a while but we need to see whats going on, is it really warn or just not cold enough?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
room temp warm
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok that means no airflow from the freezer, did you check the air tower and see if its clear ? also is the light inside the fresh food section shutting off when you close the door?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes light goes out i have discovered the fan in freezer only runs for a few seconds at a time
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok thats probably the problem then, if the fan doesn't run all the time then its bad most likely, does it just stop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it just runs about 8 sec then quits
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you need the fan , Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this runs around $50.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-et1mhkxm001-%3d%3dd651444i1469124&PartID=1469124 this should take care of it, hope Ive helped, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.