Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Temperature in both the freezer and refrigerator is too low

Temperature in both the freezer and refrigerator is too low even t hough I have raised it up to t he maximum.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

is this freezing things in the fresh food section?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model FRT21kg3dwo

The freezing section is not cold enough to freeze ice in a tray even though I turned it as high as possible

the refrigerator is not cool enough to prevent things from spoiling. There is nothing that is freezing in that part. I have also t urned it up to maximum. I have left them both free from food for over 24 hours without opening either and they are cooler but not appropriately so.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer section at all? look real good scrape you fingernail down it, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, there is no frost when I scrape my nail
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok do you hear any clicking or buzzing noise comming from the compressor? is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fan is working in both t he freezer and refrigerator. the freezer is colder, but not as cold as it is necessary to freeze items.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , this can be a couple of different reasons, 1 you have a freon leak and it cant get cold enough, 2 check the fan next to the compressor and see if it stopped, you will need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the bottom cardboard cover ,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this may take a few minutes as I am not an expert on this. Do I need to unplug t he refrigerator for electrical purposes?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well just taking the back cover off shouldn't hurt anything electrical, just use a flashlight and see if the fan is turning,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I will check t he fan now. Got t he screws off and cardboard off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the fan is not moving
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok can you reach it with something and try spinning it to see if it starts ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I'll try.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fan will move as long as I move it. I tried with a pencil and it would even move fast but would stop once I stopped turning it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you need to replace it, this cools the compressor and with it not running the compressor shuts down, for now until the fan comes in you can take a house fan and put it behind the refrigerator to cool the compressor, also go to Lowes and get a coil brush at the appliance department and clean the coils under the refrigerator real good, this will also help, sears has this motor , http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=240525402&productGroupId=0046& supplierId=253&brandId=1428&documentId=R0507102&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=FRT21KG3DW8&keyId=0060&pageId=00004&productTypeId=0166000&searchModelNumber=FRT21KG3DW8&subCompDesc=System&brandDesc=FRIGIDAIRE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&blt=11 you can order it there. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.