Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a side-by-side model GSL25JFPH BS fridge.

I have a side-by-side model GSL25JFPH BS fridge. It makes a "howling" noise (the description many internet posters have used to describe it) from the freezer compartment. When opening the door it is clearly coming from the fan. It is driving us crazy. From the postings on the internet it sounds as if it is either the freezer fan assembly or the control board. Can you offer any advice or guidance? PLEASE HELP or we will take a sledge hammer to it and nver buy another GE appliance. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

in most cases with your problem its the mother board causing this, does the fan whine up and down also? the fans in these rarely go,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply! The fan does whine up and down, and it continues for hours. How would the circuit board affect the fan, and how would we nkow if a new one would solve the problem? Also, is it possible to get one at Lowes or a similar home repair outlet?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you need the mother board, I've been through this many times and even rplaced the fan first only to find out it was the board all along, Main Control Board - Click Image to Closethis is a common problem on these, this is located on the back of the refrigerator behind a 8x10" cover, you can order this @ they are about the cheapest around, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - thanks for your help. By the way, i am trying to accept the answer, but nothing happens when i hit the button
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I dont know why, it should work, I guess just keep trying, I wish you well, thanks Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 6/11/2010 at 12:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still not working... I tried the link from the email as well as this posting. Reply to expert button works, but not the accept answer button.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
they may be having problems at the main computer, I will see what I can find out, thanks, Bryan