Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Performa Oversize Capacity Plus/Quiet Series

I have a Maytag Performa Oversize Capacity Plus/Quiet Series washing machine. It is about 7 1/2 years old. It started leaving a residue in the top inside portion of the drum about 9 months ago. It is now vibrating pretty bad during the spin cycle. I called the idiots at Maytag and they told me to replace the hoses, which I did, and was not the problem, as I suspected. It has never leaked any water and the residue reminds me of old leaves that have fallen off of a tree in the winter. It is not greasy at all, but appears to be some type of seal deteriorating.
Do I need to get a new washing machine, or might it be a good idea to repair it?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

do you have a model # ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok well this has a plastic tub and what happens is the dirty soapy water tends to get pushed up the side of the tub and in spin and as it drains leaves residue at the top of the outer tub where it drys and flakes off, you will need to pull the outer tub ring on the top and scrape the residue off the inside of the tub, Part 436857pop the top up on the washer, there are two clips holding it down about 3" in from each side use a putty knife to push these in and lift the top. then you can get to the ring to remove, this is a common problem,hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this what is causing the vibration? Over the past couple of weeks it started vibrating during the spin cycle. The vibration is consistant regardless of the size of the load. I initially tried repositioning the loads, but it doesn't help. It is bad enough to tell me their is something wrong with the machine. I don't mind replacing the machine, but if it is nothing major I would like to fix it.
the vibration is probably the snubber ring has worn and it tends to shake or vibrate if this is worn, this however is not an easy thing to replace, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you would need a service tech to do this, its between to bottom of machine and the transmission and the whole machine has to come apart to replace, your probably looking at around $150.00 for a service call to replace this, hope this helps, thanks Bryan