Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Profile Dishwasher GSD4920X that began to stop

I have a GE Profile Dishwasher GSD4920X that began to stop running due to too much water inside. Upon investigation, there is a leak literally spraying out from where the motor/pump connects with the bottom of the tub. When I touch the rubber area right below where the spray mechanism must be, water leaks out onto my hand.

Is this fixable? My sense is it might be time for a new machine.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

if this is over filling check the float and make sure it isn't stuck, the problem with these machines is once things start going these can cost a fortune to repair, heres a link to all the parts, you will need to find the part thats leaking because its not to specific

on the parts, and I cant see your machine, you may want to consider a new machine, thanks Bryan

here is a link to all the diagrams.!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=GSD4920X65BB&pathTaken=partSearch

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the diagram - it's now gushing out of part 455 (under tub) when beginning to fill. Obviously this seal is shot, yes? I've read this means replacing the entire motor/pump unit - or is this incorrect? Lastly, if I'm careful (electric and plumbing) and follow instructions, is replacing a dishwasher oneself a possibility?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
replacing the dish washer isn't hard at all, there are two screws holding it to the counter top when you open the door and shut the water off under the sink. shut the breaker off (power) disconnect the water line at the dish washer, open the little electrical box under the dish washer and undo the wires nuts , take the drain off under the sink and pull machine out , not hard you could do it, its probably best to replace this machine at this point, these are trouble, thanks Bryan