Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool WGD5800S. The drum turns but I get no heat

I have a Whirlpool WGD5800S. The drum turns but I get no heat to dry the clothes, would it most likely be the Dryer Thermal fuse, or what else can cause this problem?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

is this a gas dryer? the model # XXXXX XXXXX do you have the rest of it, ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I did it included, I however left of the "WO" on the end of it. So the full number is XXXXX and from what I understand the WGD means it's a gas dryer. WED would be electric wouldn't it for the Whirlpools?

yes but a lot of different models come up when you leave #S off, so I wanted to make sure of your model. ok, are you able to pop the little cap off in the front left lower corner # XXXXX on this diagram and look in start the dryer and see if the igniter is glowing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't do that right now, but if it's not glowing what would be the next step. I am assuming that this dryer has a safety mechanism that prevents the gas from coming out, if the ignitor doesn't work or something else like the Dryer Thermal Fuse. Can you take me through the list of steps to check. I could probably figure them out, however, it would faster to have someone tell me the checks he would go through. Electronics troubleshooting is nothing new to me, used to work on F4s in the USAF, they were a pain, this last spring I had to replace the ignitor in my Furnace. So I just need to speed it up somehow intead of quessing my way through it.

well if the igniter does glow its the gas coils that failed, if not there are several different reasons it wont light all will require a volt meter to check , do you have one and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have a voltmeter, that's how I repair my furnace when it broke a few years ago and I had to replace the controller for it. Yes, when we are done I will press the green button.
ok, on this dryer its easiest to remove the front and the drum so you can get to the gas assembly to test, pull the lint trap out and remove the two screws under it and pop the top of the dryer right up use a screws driver in the front to pry the top up in the front and let it lean back against the wall, then down the inside along the sides take out screws marked # XXXXX on the diagram, then lean the top of the front forward and unplug the door switch, then lift the front off the lower clips and put it aside, reach in and release the belt and then pull the drum out, let me know when you get that far,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I was planning to do all this later, but I went ahead and did the first step, the Ignitor got real bright. So should I go on to the next step listed above? Opening it all up?
the igniter got real bright and the a click but it didn't light am I right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No click at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

correction, it did light up and I could feel the heat coming out of the exhaust since I don't have a hose on it right now. What could have caused it from start before?

ok, this ones easy,your gas valve solenoids are getting weak and cant open the valve all the time, you need to replace the gas valve coils,(solenoids) Part 3479when you get the machine apart you will see them. Gas Dryer Gutsthis will take care of your problem, hope I've helped, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if you got paid or not, I did add a bonus, but I had to click it twice for some reason, don't like doing that.
I did get the original payment but no bonus, don't worry about it though, thanks Bryan