Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My mother has a Whirlpool refrigerator Model # GR2SHTXKQ00.

Customer Question

My mother has a Whirlpool refrigerator Model # XXXXX The icemaker is not working so I ordered a new one today will not be in until June 14th. Today I found out the temp of the freezer is 32° and refrigerator is at 60°. If I unplug the icemaker in the freezer will the frigde work until the icemaker arrives?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

the ice maker is not the problem unfortunately, the freezer isn't cold enough to make ice , the ice maker will not cycle unless the freezer is between 0-8 degrees, it has a thermostat in it that wont let it runs unless this temp is reached,

is there frost on the back panel in the freezer section?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, Sorry about the delay but my computer locked up last night. The answer to your question to me is yes there is frost on the back panel in the freezer section.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem, take the rear panel inside the freezer off and defrost this with a hair dryer until all the silver coils are clear, on this model the most likely cause for the freeze up is this. Part 586213its clipped to the top of the coils, defrost this and put the back panel back in and I'll bet by tonight it starts making ice again, you can order this @ when it comes in just put it in and you should be fine, if I were you I would cancel the ice maker until you see if yours runs when your done, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I will see if I can figure out how to remove the panel after church this morning. I have ordered the part number you suggested and cancelled the ice maker. I will let you know how I do.

Ronald Price

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I removed the cover there was very little ice in the coils more ice around the wire next to the control timer in your picture. My father in laws friend dabbles with refrigerators and says he thinks it is a valve in the compressor and the compressor needs replaced at a cost of $500 he says better to get a new refrigerator. Any chance he is right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sounds like it could be low on freon, but even that can be expensive repair, its really hard to say, did your friend look at it? or just tell you on the phone. ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My stepdad had him look at it. I don't know if it is better to haul it to the dump or try and effect a repair.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
probably replacing the refrigerator is the better option