Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My washing machine door is locked and I cannot get it to open.

My washing machine door is locked and I cannot get it to open. Where is the release button??

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

Maytag's Neptune washer has a latch and lock on the door. If this lock fails to open when the cycle is finished. You can rescue your clothes by:

1) Remove the bezel from the soap/bleach/fabric softener dispenser.

neptopbezel.JPG (13165 bytes)

2) Locate the red cord near the right front corner of the dispenser opening. Pull on this red cord. This will unlatch the door so you can rescue your laundry. Then call for service.

nepcord.JPG (13345 bytes)hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that is not my washing machine. mah8700aww front loading neptune. I have tried to run it and see if it went thru a cycle if it would unlock but it wont run

oh , sorry, on this machine you need to remove the top and reach down to where the door lock is and pull the little ring on the bottom of the latch assembly.Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can see the ring on the left side of this picture , in the machine it faces down, there are two screws in the back to remove the top, once those are out lift up on the top in the back slightly and pull it out from under the front panel. if it locks again when you try the machine and wont unlock you will need to replace the lock assembly, you can order it @ thanks, Bryan