Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a top load Maytag washing machine. The agitator slowly

I have a top load Maytag washing machine. The agitator slowly comes apart as it works (about 3 revolutions) and then it stops spinning. If you push it back down about 2 inches, you can feel it reengage. It will spin again until it works it's way back up again.

How do you fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

ok there is a 1/4" screw that near the bottom of the agitator, its part # XXXXX on this diagram,

these are hard to see, its either missing or loose, you can see the hole it goes into in this picture, Part 454575tighten it and you should be all set, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The model is LAT2301AAE.

This #11 part and the part below it are attached together and they won't stay on to the lower part. I cannot find anywhere that a screw would secure these together, and the picture you sent is not very clear of where the screw goes into.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
are you saying only the top part doesn't agitate? if you pull the top # XXXXX off is there nothing inside like a bolt in the center holding these two together, ? the screw I am talking about holds the bottom part of the agitator to the transmission shaft, it goes straight into the side near the bottom of the agitator,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I am saying that only the top part does not agitate. When you pull #11 and the lower part with the spiral auger off, there is not anything inside like a bolt holding them together.

The bottom part of the agitator is held fast to the shaft and works just fine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this means the agitator itself is bad and needs to be replaced, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-LAT2301AAE-%3d%3dc201i454575&PartID=454575 when you get it you will see the hole where the screw on the bottom goes, thanks Bryan