Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool Bottoim Mount Refrigerator (GB2SHDXTQ purchased

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Bottoim Mount Refrigerator (GB2SHDXTQ purchased in 2007. The top portion is, all of a sudden, not cooling but the freezer is working fine. It appears that the top vent is not allowing air to circulate. I have cleaned the back and underneath and there are no visble obstructions.
I can't get the upper vent cover off and am afraid to force it. Can you assist?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

open the freezer and remove the food, check the back panel and see if theres any frost on the back panel at all, look real good and let me know, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, there is frost on the back panel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem. the first thing you need to do is remove the back panel and take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost off the coils, there are 3 possible; causes for this, 1 the defrost thermostat,(most likely) Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= 2 the defrost heater. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=, or 3 the electronic control board, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=most likely though the defrost thermostat is bad, this happens a lot, its clipped on the top of the coils behind the panel in the freezer, heres a link to the part. thanks Bryan, P.S. remember to put the back panel back on after you defrost it, it will run right until the part comes in,

Edited by Bryan on 6/5/2010 at 10:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I removed the back panel but cannot locate the part(s) described. There is only one panel (lower) to remove. The coils run underneath and parallel with the floor.

I have two photos of the area and will attach them to the reply email.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no you need to remove the back panel inside the freezer thats where the parts are located, sorry , take the rear panel off inside the freezer,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do so later today and let you know if I run into difficulty - thank you for your help and patience.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem, thanks Bryan