How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. This morning I put a mug of milk in my microwave and pressed

Resolved Question:

Hi. This morning I put a mug of milk in my microwave and pressed the 2 button (for 2 minutes). The normal "microwave hum came on for about 3 seconds, and then a second lower sound began, too. After the 2 minutes, the milk was still just as cold as when I started.
I unplugged the microwave, re-plugged it, and tried a different setting, pressing time and then 200 to see if there was any change. No change.
This is a GE Profile VV900391S model.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.


is this a counter top or over the stove microwave? the model # XXXXX't comming up,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I gave you the serial number. The model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok got it, the problem can only be one of two things, 1 the high voltage transformer. Part 769970or 2 the magnetron and stirrer kit, Part 875437these are both on the high voltage end of the microwave and is very dangerous to work on, heres the warning, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven


they show the magnetron still available but say the transformer has been discontinued, it may still be available with some research, I recommend having a tech work on this however, or replace the microwave, the parts are very expensive. thanks Bryan

Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you