Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a profile side by side refrigerator with a bottom freezer.

I have a profile side by side refrigerator with a bottom freezer. It is two and half years old. It appears that the freezer temperature is 25 and the refrigerator is 41. Although I tried to set it at the recommended 0 and 37 it appears to be getting warmer. any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

are the fans running? do you hear the compressor running?

do you have the model #?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
or PFS22SiSbSS

It isn't making a great deal of noise but if I stick my head in the refrigerator I can hear a soft fan going
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok is there any frost at all on the back panel in the freezer? look real good if you can.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes there is in the freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem , you need to remove the back panel and defrost the coils with a hair dryer, its one of three things. the defrost thermostat, the defrost heater or the mother board, my guess would be the defrost thermostat , clipped to the top of the coils, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can get this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The temperature is currently at 26 and 45. Will food last in the freezer and refrigerator over night until I can get some help? It went up about 2 degrees in the last 2 hours. Is there any way to tell? If I get the frost off in the interior of the freezer will that help preserve things for a while?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it will as long as the compressor is running, can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and feel the compressor, see if its vibrating?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can hear something running - like a fan or something if I put my ear up to the back. I don't really feel any vibrations
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats probably bad, do you have a place you can take your food ? this is probably going to get worse, try taking the panel off in the back where the compressor is and feel the compressor itself, let me know if its cold, warm, or hot and also vibrating,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the compressor is a black egg shaped thing on the bottom left of the refrigerator it is very hot to the touch but not vibrating. The name of the company on that thing is EMBRACO
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats the compressor, this isn't good if its not running the food will go bad, this is beginning to sound like a sealed system issue which means compressor and freon system, if your sure its not vibrating then its not running, is the temp going up in the freezer? have you taken the back panel off in the freezer and checked the frost?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the black things that look like coils next the compressor are what frosts over than there is no frost. When I took the back panel off the freezer and left it off the freezer temp went down a degree to 24. However the refrigerator temperature is now up to 47
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
how much frost was on the coils, ? were the silver coils completely clogged? the coils next to the compressor are not suppose to be frosted they should be warm.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no frost anywhere in the compartment with the compressor. I don't see silver coils. There are black coils over a plastic tray that take up the right of the compartment. There is no frost in the compartment all the tubing and the coils feel warm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no inside the freezer you need to remove the panel in the freezer the back panel inside,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For some reason the freezer temp has gone down another degree. The refrigerator is holding at 47. Do you know what temperature has to be maintained to keep things from spoiling? I am going to stop after this. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

I know thats a pain to take off but when you get it off if its really clogged with frost defrost it with a hair dryer all the way then put the panel back on and it should cool back down overnight, don't forget to put the panel back on its important, this will hold you overnight and we can pick this up tomorrow, I need to get off line now, thanks Bryan

the temps when normal should be 0-8 freezer and 36-40 refrigerator . I'm not sure which foods will spoil at 47, all foods are different,