Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a tappan oven model no. 484240c, the bottom element

Customer Question

I have a tappan oven model no. 484240c, the bottom element was melted and I replaced it with a similar looking element( shape and size Match). But the bottom element still doesnt work, yet the top broiler does with no issue. What could it be? stove is about 23 years old...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

there may be a high limit thermostat in this thats bad

if you put a new element in it no matter if it was exact it should come on, I cant pull up info on this model but its probably either a shorted wire of the thermostat is bad, check the wiring first, if you don't find a melted or burnt wire the thermostat is bad, thanks Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 6/1/2010 at 7:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Where is the thermostat. Is there more than one, since tthe broiler is working but the bottom element is not?

I included a model number, but here it is again mo. 484240C, serial no. vf52800309 tappan make

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I tried to bring the model # XXXXX but its not comming up. does this have a switch to switch from bake to broil you turn or is this electronic with a clock,?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not electronic. It has the switch/ turn dial
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , does it have two dials , one you turn to either bake or broil, or is it all in the temp dial ? all the way around is broil and that all you have to do is turn one knob? in other words does it have a knob similar to this? Part 502

Edited by Bryan on 6/1/2010 at 8:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are we still able to continue. I wasnt done asking questions.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes did you get my last post?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. its not electronic, turn switch
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok but before you set the temp you need to select bake or broil on anther switch correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok well the selector switch is bad, unfortunately when the bake element melts it melts the contacts in the selector switch , thats why broil still works and bake doesn't, the bake contact is fried, I know of no place to get one of these, the parts are to old, they don't even come up in the parts suppliers anymore, sorry, you can try an appliance place that sells used appliances they may have a used one, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, Thank you very much for your time
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome, good luck, thanks Bryan