Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

My Kenmore Ice Maker is leaking.

Customer Question

My Kenmore Ice Maker is leaking.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Can we have the complete model number please?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
106.56689501
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Usual problem would be the water inlet solenoid. We call it the weeping solenoid. Even though there is no power to the solenoid, calcium deposits sometimes prevents the diaphragm form sealing completely thus water would still be dripping down the ice maker.

In this diagram. It would be item 10. Please click the blue word.

-
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for that information. While I don't know the source of the leak, the water is coming out from what would be a water outlet on the front center bottom part of the ice maker. It appears that this outlet is supposed to be there.?

Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

That center outlet is the distribution outlet of water to fill the icemaker tray. That outlet came from the water inlet solenoid valve. The valve controls the water going to the icemaker.

-

Edited by Francis on 6/1/2010 at 4:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is on the underside of part #29
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

That could just be the overflow water from the ice tray. Water from the solenoid would be dropping from item 2 down to item 22 then to be distributed to the tray, ( Item 20 ) Which could be overflowing to the underneath of item 29.