Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a genie INTELLICODE 1/2 HP MODEL H6000A I can shut

I have a genie INTELLICODE
1/2 HP MODEL H6000A

I can shut the garage door then at some point later the garag door opens by itself then goes dead.

To this point if I unplug the power for a while it will work again. But the automatic opening and power down will return.

What is going on here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Try this; unhook the cable AT THE CONTROLLER end that goes down to the pushbutton. I think there may be a staple shorting out the cable and opening the door
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try this. The wires outer cover was broken through where the installer wrapped it around the angle support. If this works i will write you a good review. Does this explain why power is lost after the door automaticly opens? And if I unplug and re-plug it works again?

Thank You,

Keith

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It just happened again when I was out to lunch.

Do you have another theory?

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
As I have mentioned, I would unhook the cable going to the opener button and leave it for a while like this, have you done that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes.

I unhooked the cable going from the push button opener too the garage door opener. I disconnected at both ends.

A short while (1 - 2 hours) later it automaticly opened on its owne and power to the opener was lost. It is currently in that state now in case you want me to check something.

Otherwise I need to unplug it and plug it back in and it will be in a usable state.

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
This is a controller failure. You will need to replace the main board. It's the only thing that could cause this with the push button completely unhooked. That's what this test reveals. If it's not hooked up to the terminals it can not be causing this to happen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pressed accept answer and it said if I accept my card will be charged for the service. The $14 has already been charged.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
No, the $14.00 is set to a deposit fund. You have not actually been charged until you press accept. So go ahead and press accept, then 50% goes to my account and 'justanswer' gets 50%. Thank you. Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.