Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool Ultraease plus, that all of a sudden is

I have a Whirlpool Ultraease plus, that all of a sudden is room temp. on both the freezer side and the refrigerator side. Any quick ideas of what might be wrong, and a ruff idea of what this should cost me to fix it?
pull the refrigerator forward and look at the large black metal round compressor under the bottom. Touch it and tell me if it's hot, warm, or cold.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, i am at my office, i couldn't do that until i get home. can we continue from there?
yes, just post right back here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will I be charged again?
no, not if you post right back here and don't start a new question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, pulled it out, got the back off, and the compressor is hot.....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I got home and took the back of the fridge off and felt the compressor, and it is definitily hot. So what does that mean?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, I took the back of the fridge off and the compressor is hot. now what?
then that means that the overload relay has failed on the side of the compressor. If you look at the little plastic box on the side of the compressor that all the wires go into, that is the part you will need to order and replace.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am pretty mechanicly inclined, is this something that I can replace myself, or do I need to hire a repairman to do it?
this is definitely something you can replace if you're evenly just slightly handy, it's very easy. Just be sure to unplug the unit first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I switched out the relay, and it seems to be running, but the center divider wall is really hot on the door edge, is there something that could be wrong with it.
the divider gets hot if the compressor is overheating, so check the fan next to the compressor to make sure it's running. if it is and it's still getting too hot, you will need to replace the compressor.