Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My icemaker on my Kitchen Aid Refrigerator has quit working.

My icemaker on my Kitchen Aid Refrigerator has quit working. The water dispensor works fine . I disconnected the plastic supply line below one of the solenoids and used a portable compressor to blow thru in case it was clogged and got good airflow. I suspect it is either a non functioning solenoid or a clogged filter within the solenoid if there is such a thing . How do I check the solenoid ?

Hi Paul can you open the door and take a look at the L.E.D inside the door and tell me if it is solid and blinking please.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure which lights you are looking for . The lights inside the refrigerator section ( Freezer,Refrigerator, filter indicator) are all solid and the filter is green
There should be a small led just inside the door. Part 36 in the scematic below.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no light coming from the LED
Ok can you press and hold the flapper the other side and tell me if the led does anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing happens when I hold the flapper closed.
Ok last question, Hold the freezer door switch and tell me if the led does anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I held the door switch closed and there was effect on the LED. I also did the same and held the flapper closed and there was no LED response.
Ok we just ran the diagnostics on the emitter and receiver boards...They are bad, You will need to replace the boards. Click HERE to order the replacement parts. The boards are located behind the flapper panel and the led cover. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

MIke, I have ordered the boards. Does this kit come with instructions or, if not, can you give me a source ? I assume this diagnosis indicates the solenoid is OK. Prior to absolute failure, the tray seemed to over fill. Is there an adjustment to limit overfill ?

The boards come with full instructions as to installation. There is an adjustment to the fill, you take the square white cover off at the end of the ice maker, inside the cap should be the instructions if this model has a liquid level adjustment. The boards being bad is the problem, when these boards go bad they shut off the ice making system. Mike