Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have a Whirlpool Model MH2175XSB-4, May 2008. We heated

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Model MH2175XSB-4, May 2008. We heated an opened jar of sauce for 1 1/2 minutes, turned it off, left it inside and about 1/2 hour later started seeing smoke in our livingroom. My husband is a fireman and thought at first it was coming from our basement but saw the smoke trying to get out of the microwave. The power was dead on it, he unplugged it and before opening it checked the walls, etc to make sure nothing else was effected. Upon opening it the jar was completely charred, not broken, sauce empty, smoking, glass turntable broken in about 8 pieces, plastic on the turning part melted, inside of the door melted and entire inside of microwave black. Glass and metal on door completely undamaged. As my husband stes he has never seen anything like this can you help with an explanation. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Well from the sounds of it the computer turned it self back on.I would call whirlpool and see if there is a problem with the unit.There may be a recall on it.