Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I purchased a stainless steel refrigerator (Model GSH22JSTA-SS),

Customer Question

I purchased a stainless steel refrigerator (Model GSH22JSTA-SS), in December 2006. There appears to be no "extended warranty." The refrigerator has loss its ability to cool or freeze. Does anyone know a solution or guidance on how this might be rectified?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if you open the freezer door, do you hear a fan running? Is the unit cooling at all or is it room temperature?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes there is a fan running. The refrigerator is cooler than room temperature...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok then pull your refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel. This will give you access to the large big black round compressor. Is the compressor running? Is it hot, cold, or warm?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is hot. I am not sure how to tell if it is running; but there seems to be a slight continuous vibration when I place my hand upon it. Adjacent to it is a large white tubular device which has a fan running on it...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok then you have a problem with your sealed system. Either your compressor is faulty or your unit has a freon leak. You will need to call a technician to have them check the freon pressures in order ot determine exactly what is going to need to be done to get the freon system working again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If there were a freon leak, would there not be evidence (i.e "frostng appearing somewhere) as with automobile AC systems?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
the evidence would be that littler or NO frost will appear. And you would need to pull everything out of your freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to see the silver coils that should be completely frosted. Unlike an automobile, you can't just get a can and fill up the freon yourself, you MUST call a technician. Also, unlick an automobile, because there is a much higher pressure, the lines will be frosted when working properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank yo Appliance Doc...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything else, just ask.