Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have an old Tappan gas oven. Awhile back the oven stopped

Customer Question

I have an old Tappan gas oven. Awhile back the oven stopped working, I replaced the ignighter and it worked , for almost a year and then stopped working. I replaced the ignighter again but that did not do it. But the other day I heard gas start to come out(apparently someone had left the knob turned to broil) I loked and the the burner was on. Before celebrating I tried it several times and it kept going on. I then celebrated and cleaned the little window... Tried it again and it worked.

Next day , once again, no gas , no flame.

Any help would be appreciated
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 6 years ago.
From what you are describing ..I would check the wiring to the gas valve...If ok replace the gas valve...The gas valve is the part where the wires from the igniter lead to..If the gas valve does not fix your problem ...The control board is bad...