Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an Admiral ADE7000AYW dryer that is not heating up.

I have an Admiral ADE7000AYW dryer that is not heating up. I have about 5-6 ohms resistance on the heating element. The thermal fuse and high limit thermostat both indicate continuity on my multimeter. Is my Element bad? I have read that it should be from 8 to 12 ohms on the heating element.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
the element definitely should be higher resistance but any resistance would still create heat. So whether your thermostat is out of range or not, it should still heat if it's not completely open.

When you check the thermostats and thermal fuse, make sure you have the wires disconnected to them or they will read good even when they are not. If you'r positive that the fuse and thermostat is good, then you either have a bad motor contact or a bad timer control.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I tested the thermostat and the thermal fuse I made sure the wires were disconnected from each.

Is it fair to say that with the low resistance the element is likely on its way out, but since there is resistance there should still be heat?

Is there an easy test for either the motor contact or the timer control?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
That is correct, I'd say it's on it's way out but it should still heat.

To test the timer, you check power between points H and R (both red wires) and you should have 240 volts. If not then you have a bad timer, otherwise you have a bad motor. Make sure the dryer is getting 240 volts of course. And the dryer must be running when making the test.