Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator, with the freezer

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator, with the freezer on the left side. I have noticed wated on the floor near the front corner on the freezer side. It happens every so often, more in the humid days. Other times it is dry. The drip pan and the drain hole in the bottom of the freezer floor are ok. I took the back cardboard plate off, and there is water and moisture at the very back near the bottom. I am sure this is where the water starts, and runs on the floor. The motor (I guess) has a couple copper pipes coming out. One pipe is warm and goes to the right side (freezer side as you are looking from the back). About halfway across the pipe, it gets cold. A few inches more and there is about three inches of styrofoam covering the now cold pipe, and that pipe goes straight up into the refrigerator somewhere. That part of the pipe had ice on it. This is the area, where there is moisture and water that seems to drip and pool on the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Are you saying you see ice on the tubing going into the freezer compartment on the rear of the unit?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know where the tube goes. The motor is on the left, as I was looking from the back. The tube snaked toward the right and began to get cold. After a few inches of cold pipe, that is where the styrofoam covering was, and the leaking and/or condensation. Then the pipe went up, and that is where it was covered in a small amount of ice for four inches or so. Then it went up and the view was covered by the back of the refrigerator which was sheet mtetal. I didn't try to take this off, as I was just accessing the refrig. from the small opening at the bottom when I took the cardboard covering off. The pipe goes up, and it is in the back initially. I don't know where it goes afteer that. It is on the side of the freezer at this pont. I just checked the pipe again and it is covered in a small sheeet of ice for the few inches you can see. Maybe it is supposed to freeze and melt off periodically, but I think that is where the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't heard anything back for a while from you, so am not sure I answered your question or if I hit a wrong button and logged off by mistake. I hope you are still there.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

I am still here... I had to go to my day job and was gone for a while. THe ice you are seeing does it disappear a few minutes after the compressor starts?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure. I will have to check it further. I do not know when the compressor starts, as there is very little sound at all. I did notice a leak today and looked underneath (as I put the back together) and I looked tward the back and still saw ice on the pipe at that time. The ice begins right after the piece of styrofoam that covers the pipe, and just as it goes straight up. There is ice on it now, but no leak. It must leak when the compressor goes on and off, or maybe the defrost mechanism going on and off possibly. But, it doesn't do it all the time. It may not do it one day, and then the next day it does it a couple times. In the winter it wasn't too often. With the humid weather, maybe that affects it, or maybe the problem is getting worse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is an update to Chas comment about whether the ice disappears after the compressor starts. I looked underneath every 20 minutes or so, and the ice stayed there,...no leaking on the floor. There was a little vibration as I could see it in the water in the drip pan, so maybe the compressor was running. A few minutes ago, I looked under and the water was still. I looked to the pipe in the back and the ice was gone from the small section of pipe, and I saw a small piece of ice drop down, so I assume it landed in the back where the water seems to be standing. It is a few inches behind the drip pan, just at the back edge of the refrigerator. The drip pan has never been moved, so the pipe is behind it.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Looking underneath and seeing ice is not a good thing, the ice may form for a minute or two when the unit starts it's cycling but should defrost within seconds after that, you may have a partial restriction in your sealed system that is not allowing the refrigerant to flow properly, if this is so then you will need to have an EPA certified tech to look at it, as you cannot perform this repair on your own legally.

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech