Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have a Whirlpool Ice Magic Plus refridgerator side by side.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Ice Magic Plus refridgerator side by side. It has been gathering water, which turns to ice, on the bottom of the freezer, and I also find water on the floor near the front. I don't see a place where it is leaking. My daughter's unit is doing the exact same thing!! Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

You will need to remove the bottom drawer, you need to look at the bottom of the back wall, if there is ice built up there, then you defrost drain is clogged up and will need to be defrosted, you should see this hole once you melt the ice, then when you are able to get hot water to go down the hole again then you will be fixed, this may take a while to do, I use very hot water to speed things up and can do this in about 25 minutes from start to finish..

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The bottom of the freezer slopes up to the back. There is a kind of grate or vent on the back wall, but no hole. And the ice was only 1/2" thick on the did not hit the back wall. Should I be able to see the hole you are refering to?
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
Yes this is what I am talking about, under that grate it should be full of ice, once the ice is melted away you should see the drain hole there...