Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Kitchenaid Dishwasher model # KUDS25SHBS1 has started making

Customer Question

Kitchenaid Dishwasher model # XXXXX has started making noise. Noise happens when unit is draining so perhaps its the same mechanism that houses the grinder. Can definetly hear a plastic kind of clicking/whirring as something spins around to drain the unit. I have removed the washing armature and plastic skirt around bottom and felt underneath the skirted area, but don't feel anything caught or jammed. Noise is getting louder as more draining cycles are being utilized (i.e. as we use the machine more). Anyone have an idea about how to fix and what is going wrong with this otherwise fine 10 year old built-in? Is the bottom piece in the dishwasher removable? That is, the plastic piece with the fine mesh and the flat tube thing running down the back of the inside of the machine? Are these items removeable and how? Or do I need to go in thru the kick plate area?
First experience with this type of setup...so, naturally, I'm reluctant to offer more than the minimum. However, I can obviously be swayed to offer more if...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Are you only hearing this during the drain cycle or are you hearing it during the wash cycle also?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Noise happens only when draining.
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 4 years ago.

This is the breakdown of the motor how far have you got in taking it apart.

AppliancePartsPros.com | Pump and Motor replacement parts for Whirlpool KUDS25SHBS1

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't taken item 14 off, but items 14 & 9 are two of the three things I referred to in my initial question/request for help. Now that I can see an explosion of the area, it will be possible to remove and begin the inspection. Item 13 is where I could feel to and around with my hand and I didn't feel anything but now I can see that whatever the sound is, is probably coming from inside these areas, not outside where I could easily reach. Besides starting the job of taking these areas apart, what should I be looking for?
They just unscrew.The entire thing is just screwed together.You want to inspect item # XXXXX the screws out of 14 and it should just pull off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

From the drawing, it looks like #19 is just a clip or maybe it's the grinding blade? When you say "inspect", just what is it I'm looking for? Also, the drawing notes that the pump gasket must be replaced anytime the pump assembly is removed and reinstalled, but it's not clear to me which item is the pump assembly and where the gasket that must be replaced is located. If I remove items down to # XXXXX do I need to be concerned about this gasket?

So, to recap, what am I looking for when I inspect #19, and where is the gasket located and am I going to need to replace it?

You don't have to worry about the gasket it is on part# XXXXX it fits in a groove.Check that the spring is not bent or the blade.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I'm going to have to start tearing it down to understand what you are telling me. I am assuming by what your previous answer is, that I'm only taking items off as large pieces and not as the picture diagram shows. In that context, I won't have to worry about the gasket, item #14. Is that what you are saying? Also, it would be helpful if I can refer to the parts by name as well as number. Can you send the corresponding list of part names for the part numbers listed in the diagram?

No you don't have to woory about replaceing the gasket just reuse the one that is there.Click on this link it should give you a complete parts list.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=238707&diagram_id=21074#d21074

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
UPDATE: Wanted you to know that I haven't been able to tear down the unit yet, but poured vinegar into it while I've been away. Expect to get to it sometime later this week or by the weekend and plan to update you, ask additional info or just Accept the Answer. Appreciate your help thus far.
Ok thats fine.