Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a full size Maytag dryer model PYG2300AWW. It is an

I have a full size Maytag dryer model PYG2300AWW. It is an American 120V dryer that I brought to Thailand where we use 220V. I have used it sucsessfully with a converter for the past 2 years. Yesterday, I accidentally plugged it into the 220V outlet and the dryer made a weird noise and stopped working.

I took the dryer apart and couldn't figure out what went out. The power cord comes in to the dryer and separates going to several different locations. I wonder what I might try and replace to fix the dryer? Would it be the motor itself, or the control panel switch? Is there some kind of fuse that would have gone out (if there is I can't find it)? There is some kind of fuse that shuts the dryer down sometimes, and after we wait about an hour the dryer turns back on. It doesn't seem to be related to the problem we're having now when we plugged it into the wrong outlet. They don't have models like this in Thailand or anyone who can fix it, so any help you can give would be great.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 6 years ago.
Hopefully you just blew the thermal fuse...#16....You will need to access the cabinet....Then check the fuse with a meter...

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure how to check the thermal fuse with a meter. What kind of reading am I looking for, or, can I temporarily by-pass the fuse to see if the dryer runs and if it does verify that I need a new thermal fuse? Thanks.

Yes you can do that ...Other wise you are checking countinuity with the meter...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I by-passed the thermal fuse and the dryer still doesn't start up. Is there any way to check the motor or the control panel switch, or should I just replace both? Or is there some other point at which the 220V fried something. I can't tell where exactly the power comes in other than to the motor and control panel switch that something was ruined by the high-volatge. Thank you for your help.
Really no way to test without factory test equipment..I would first check your power coming into the unit...From the wire terminal block...To the timer ...From the timer to door switch...Etc. Here is a wire diagram for that unit...

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have one more follow-up question then I'll go ahead and click the "Accept Answer" button (I guess that's how you get paid.?.). Thanks for your patience. I don't really know how this works. Will I still get an opportunity to ask you a question after I hit accept answer or no.

After I test the voltage at various points, if I still am not sure, in what order would you reccomend I replace various parts. I new dryer costs me 2 grand here and if I buy a motor, a switch, etc . . . and it cost me a fracation of that, I'm happy. The motor for example, I can order online for $130, the switch $20, etc . . .

So, one last time, what would be the most likely to go first in the situation I plugged it in to the wrong volatge, and what are some key things you'd replace to try it like that. I realize you would have to guess here. Thanks. I'll be done after this!

In your situation...I would first check power at the terminal block...Check thermals...From there ...Check power into and out of timer...To door switch...If you have power at these locations..I would then replace the motor...Since you said it was running at the time...