Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Refrigerator and freezer is warm, and runs continuously. We

Refrigerator and freezer is warm, and runs continuously. We hear a clicking sound every few minutes. I've tried adjusting temperature, but freezer is thawing out. Kenmore bottom freezer model 596.73502201, 2003 model. Power on, lights work, controller works (i.e., if you turn it to off, fans shut off). No ice buildup in freezer and fan in freezer does work. From the parts diagram, I see there is an "adaptive defrost" board in the freezer, and a temperature controller, although I don't know how to diagnose if these are working (or it is some other problem). Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello pull the unit out from the wall then take the lower panel off. Behind the panel you will see the compressor, can you tell me if the clicking sound is coming from the compressor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry- took a while to get the panel off. I can't tell for sure as the fan is running continuously, but the clicking is louder, so likely is coming from the compressor. About every 5 to 10 minutes (1 or 2 clicks).
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok the problem here is either a bad compressor or a bad relay. To determine which pull the retaining clip off (12) and then pull parts 10 and 11 off the side of the compressor. Once you have them off give part 10 (relay) a shake, If it rattles it's bad and should be replaced. If it does not rattle then the compressor is bad, in this case you should call a professional service tech to replace the compressor. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike