John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Maytag Plus refrigerator. model number MTB1956FEW. I got

Maytag Plus refrigerator. model number MTB1956FEW. I got this refrigerator (which looks like new) from an abandoned property when my friend bought it. I brought it home and plugged it in but it isn't getting cold. Is it worth having an appliance repair company take a look?

Thanks for the question.

did the compressor and the fan motor by the compressor start up for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The fan kicks on but I don't hear the compressor

Can you hear the compressor clicking off and on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no - nothing from the compressor

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The compressor is hot and there appear to be no burnt wires
Is the compressor going though or just hot.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is now starting to click but doesn't sound like it actually running. It appears to be short cycling??? It clicks and then about 10 seconds later, it clicks again. Then it does that same thing again about a minute later.

Part 577548

This is the relay , its # XXXXX in the breakdown I sent you thats what the problem is as long as the compressor is ok, but the relay has to be replace to find out, Its a common problem with that fridge.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So I should just call the appliance repair guys tomorrow so they can order a relay? Or...is this something I can do? I live in Juneau,AK so parts aren't necessarily easy to get and while I am pretty handy, I confess to never having worked on a refrigerator before.
You can replace this relay its an easy swap out, theres a clip that holds the relay box on and two wires to replace.you can order from Sears they ship overnight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! I will email you again if I get stuck. I am going to order the part right now!

Thank you , if you run into trouble just yell I will help you with the replacement.