Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

For a GE Monogram ZDIS15CSSN icemaker The pump has been running

For a GE Monogram ZDIS15CSSN icemaker: The pump has been running longer and longer. You can hear the tone difference when all the water is out, but the pump continues to run. Performed a full clean on the ice maker, following the instructions in the owners manual: dusted / cleaned the coils, used the prescribed cleaner, etc. The cleaning cycle started, the fluid was flowing, lights were on with the door open. Life looked good.

Came back after 30 minutes and the light was out on opening the door. The cleaning cycle light was out and the cleaning solution was still in the tank (unusual). The pump was still running. Unplugged the unit and let it sit for 30 minutes. Plugged it back in, same results.

Checked the back of the unit, the fan was not cycling but the pump was still running hard.

My guess: It appears as if the unit itself is not getting power?

I'm looking for next steps.

Thanks in advance
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
when you are saying the pump ,are you talking about the unit inside the unit or is there an optional external DRAIN pump in the rear under the unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is the GE specificed model drain pump. We had to add the pump when we installed the unit 2 years ago, been running ok until about 3 weeks ago. So it is the drain pump, but housed inside the unit (from the rear, right side). The ice maker power was changed to plug into the drain pump and one power plug from the drain pump to the wall.
ok and is there any standing water in the bottom of the icemaker bin ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope. Dry.

As a test, put a glass of water into the bin. It swallowed it and I could hear it go into the drain and the tone of the pump went higher after the water was gone. Still no power to the ice maker. No water flow, no cycling, no lights.

then you have a bad or stuck float switch in the icemaker.

Can you unplug the icemaker ,from the pump and plug it directly into an outlet or a short extension cord for testing the unit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Disconnected the pump, plugged the ice maker directly into an extension cord and light came on and the unit started to cycle as expected.

Disconnected from the extension cord, plugged the back into the pump and back to no light, solid running pump, no action on the ice maker.

then yes you have a faulty pump assembly .

How old is the unit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 2 years old.

ok so it is out of warranty .

Here is a link for a new drain pump assy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=1901&productGroupId=0046&supplierId=106&pathTaken=partSearch&blt=14

and yes they are quite expensive.

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line