Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a kenmore 110 86874100 that wont heat. Weve replaced

I have a kenmore 110 86874100 that wont heat. We've replaced the element, thermostat, and fuse and it's still not heating. What could we be missing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter to test voltages ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no

you have three thermostat which one did you replace ?

One on blower housing ,one on top of heating element housing ,one on bottom of heating housing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we changed the one below the heating housing. When we unplugged the dryer one of the prongs on the cord was black and melted so we replaced the whole cord. the wire to the thermostat was also burnt and the casing was melted and just fell apart when we took it off so we just replaced everything along the "path" thinking something there would be the problem.
do you have the back open at this time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

ok unplug the unit from the wall and on the blower housing you have the operating thermostat two red wires and two purple wires,

pull the two reds off the thermostat ,and put them together ,plug the unit back in set timer to a timed dry cycle ,and start the dryer and look to see if it is heating ,from the back you can see the GLOW of the element if it does heat .takes about 30 sec.or so .

Try this and I will hold on

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not heating
ok unplug it put those two wires back on And then you have another thermostat on top left corner do the same with those two wires ,plug back in and test like you did with the other one .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. and there are only two red wires on both thermostats, there are no other wires.?

ok so both ,the one on the blower housing ,and the one on the side of the element housing (Bypassing them did not make it heat)

And you have replaced the thermostat on the bottom of the housing and the heating element is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no we only replaced the one on the heating element, the heating element, and a fuse that is mounted on the blower housing

Sounds as if you have a stuck float switch or bad switch .

And you replaced the thermostat on the bottom of the element, and we /you Bypassed the other thermostats ,and still no heat .

And if it was the thermal fuse on the blower housing the motor would not run .

So you have to have a bad timer .

here is a link to the part .

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=696876&productGroupId=0026&supplierId=110&brandId=x& amp;documentId=00035069&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=x&keyId=000003&pageId=00001&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=11086874100&subCompDesc=Top%20and%20console%20parts&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=DRYER&blt=11

the power comes from the timer to the one on the blower housing to the one on the top left side of element then to the bottom on then into the element.

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there a way to keep this question open until we get this part?
sure you can press the accept button , for now ,and we can talk when you get the part ,just replay back thru your Email.