Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We have GE GSH25JSTA SS dual door refrigerator that we had

We have GE GSH25JSTA SS dual door refrigerator that we had purchased in 2007. The water dispenser is not working. The ice dispenser is working fine. I have replaced the filter but that did not help. The temperature settings for both freezer and refrigerator is 6.

Can you please let me know the fix?

Thank you,

Neel
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi sounds like a bad inlet valve. Pull the unit out from the wall and take the lower panel off at the back. Behind this panel you will see the valve. Trace the waterline for the water dispenser to the valve and then pull the wires off the valve that supplies the water dispenser. Next have someone hit the water button while you test the valve wires with a volt meter. If you get 120v from the wires when the button is pressed then the valve is bad and will need to be replaced. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your quick response.

I am not sure I understood the solution.

- How would I take the unit out from the wall? The dispenser is mounted on the left door of the refrigerator. I do not know how to remove it from there.

- The water line is not visible and it seems that it runs inside the refrigerator door for the freezer section. I do see a water pipe coiled up inside the refrigerator but do not know where the valve is located.

Just to confirm that the refrigerator model is GE GSH25JSTA SS.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I apologize for the confusion. You will need to pull the whole fridge out from the wall. Then you will need to remove the lower panel at the back. Behind the panel you will see the valve.

The valve is a dual valve, one valve feeds the ice maker the other the water dispenser. There is a water line that runs down the back or the refrigerator which is the ice maker waterline. Trace this one back to the valve and this will tell you the other valve is for the water dispenser.

When you have figured out which valve feeds the water dispenser pull the wires off and test with a volt meter while someone presses the water switch. If you get a reading of 120v while the switch is being pressed then this shows the valve is bad. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I will try the solution you have recommended and get back if the problem is not resolved or I have any questions.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did the test as suggested above and recorded a reading of 120V upon pressing of water dispenser switch. Can you confirm the part# XXXXX the dual valve that I need to order?

Thank you,

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi click HERE to order the replacement valve. Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Mike. I have ordered the part. I will keep you posted after I install the valve later next week.

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just installed the new valve. I have made sure that the connections were done correctly. The water is not flowing after I press the water dispenser switch..

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok if you are reading 120v when the lever is hit either there is a wiring problem or there is a blockage in the line. Take the grill out under the door, behind here you will see the waterline where it goes into the door and to the dispenser. There will be a push fit joint, pull the wires out of the joint and blow into the line going into the door. If you can blow air there is no blockage...If you can't blow air then the line is blocked with ice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike,

Thanks for your response at this hour. I am not able to blow air after pulling the pipe out to the dispenser line. Looks like it is blocked with ice.

What should be my next step for cleaning up the ice?

Also, do I need to order a new push fit joint as I disconnected the pipe to dispenser?

Thanks,

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Well the blockage is going to be in the door somewhere. Try blowing some hot air using a hairdryer into the waterline. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I guess blow hot air near the dispenser?

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes you could blow hot air into the dispenser and also into the line under the door.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I have been doing that and so far no luck. Will try for another 20-30 mins.

If I am able to clean up the line then can I go ahead and use same push fit joint? Just would like to make sure if reusing the joint may not leak the water overnight.

Thanks,

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to you the same joint so long as you didnt damage it when pulling the line out. If you can't get the blockage with a hairdryer then you may have to pull the dispenser out to get to the waterline. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to clean up the line. The dispenser is working fine now.

Do you have a web link that shows how to fix the grill below the door of refrigerator?

Thanks,

Neel

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
How to fix it? if you mean put it back there are 2 clips at the back that hold it onto the frame.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay Thanks. I tried that but the side stubs are not fitting properly and clips cannot reach the frame properly. I will try again.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Neel