John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Kenmore refrigerator will just turn off for no reason.

Customer Question

My Kenmore refrigerator will just turn off for no reason. When I unplug it and plug it back in again, it will start working. It's proving to be quite unreliable though. It's about 10 years old. Is it on its last leg?

Also, I replaced the water filter recently. I ran water through the system for the recommended 2 gallons, but the ice maker has stopped working. I can't get that fixed either.

Anyt thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

when it shuts off is it silent or can you hear fan motor going, and please send me the model number.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm pretty sure it's silent. I'm not entirely sure because my roommates have been the ones to inform me that it is not working. I don't have the model number with me since I am at the office. When I get home, I can get that to you.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes thats one thing I need is the model number so i can look at the fridge, does it restart bu itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No...I have had to unplug it in the past and plug it back in again. There doesn't appear to be any power to the unit. The light board for the temperature controls goes off. It's as if there's a short, but the outlet is fine (I don't need to flip a breaker).

This started before the ice maker stopped working. The ice maker stopped working after I replaced the water filter. I probably didn't run water through the system long enough the first time. I left the ice maker on, but the red light would blink, suggesting that it wasn't working. After a couple of weeks, I ran water through the system two different times: both with the ice maker on, and with it off. The ice maker is still not working.

However, this power issue started before I replaced the water filter. I thought the power issues might be related to a faulty water filter (i.e., too much resistance pushing water through the system caused an internal short?).

I don't know if it's worth fixing or not. I thought I'd ask you before I ran to buy a new refrigerator.

Thanks for your assistance. I can get the model number to you later tonight, but I won't be home before then. Maybe I could call Sears and they could let me know which model it is...

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I will wait for the model number , is it a separate control to turn the fridge on and off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model number: 106.53552202
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will this fix the ice maker also? Is it typical for this part to wear out after about 10 years? After I replace this item, is something else likely to break in the near future? In other words, would it be more cost effective to buy a new refrigerator rather than spend 250 bucks on this repair?

Is the installation of this piece of equipment easy to do myself, or will I need to hire someone to come and do it?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
well it is 12 yrs old and its a repair you should leave to a professional, at that age you can fix a problem and a few months later something else can fail on you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it were your refrigerator, what would you do? It looks like an equivalent new refrigerator sells for about 800 bucks, which is about 2.5 times the repair cost.

What is the life expectancy for these refrigerators?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
was the fridge noisy before this happened , if no then yes I would have that part replaced, its worth replacing the part.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't remember the fridge being noisy...you mean like rattles and condenser noises?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
yes , just the day to day operation , if it was ok then sure have the part replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, replacing this part will fix the ice maker and make it so the fridge doesn't turn off randomly (requiring it be reset)? These are not two separate issues?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The ice maker wont work unless the freezer is cold enough if when its cold enough and the ice maker doesnt work then its a separate issue, but you have to replace the board to get the fridge going .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, all I have to do is unplug it and plug it back in again, and the fridge works for a couple of weeks without any problems. Even when the freezer is "freezing," the ice maker isn't working. It's not like it's broken and can't be revived. It's probably only shut down 4 times in the last 3 months or so.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
It can only be the control that can cause this , I looked at all the possibilities and thats what I come up with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So it sounds like the ice maker is a separate issue...bummer.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
yes unfortunately thats what it looks like , fix the control and see if it fixes the problem ,those controls are a complicated part it could fix the problem.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
try this for me, pull the fridge out while its running do it gently, now touch the plug is it warm ,now jiggle the plug does it shut off.